Soil amendment is undertaken by everyone who cares about lawns and gardens. It comprises all sorts of organic and inorganic substances that are to be mixed with the soil. The activity of the soil amendment is basically carried out for gaining a healthy soil constitution for improved plant productivity. Soil amendment is commonly mistaken with fertilizers. However, they have a very distinct and important role to play, that is, the measure to optimize soil conditions.
Here are a few types of soil amendment for the improvement of soil life:
This substance restores soil pH. This is highly beneficial for lawn grasses and other plants due to the presence of calcium. It is a vital component to use when a soil’s overly acidic pH level interferes with its ability to absorb nutrients.
- Organic Matter
Well finished composts, biosolids, processed sewage sludge all acts as organic substances for amending soil. These improve the manner in which the soil particle binds and holds together. Organic amendment facilitates better aeration, nutrient holding capacity, usable water-holding capability, drainage, and promotes beneficial microorganisms activities.
- Elemental Sulfur
This component is used when the soil pH level is too alkaline. It is used to reduce the pH level to grow certain plants that are best suited in lower pH level soil.
When a soil has the perfect pH level but is missing out on other essential factors, that is when gypsum comes to play. It modifies soil conditions without affecting the pH levels at all. Gypsum promotes convenient root penetration by loosening compacted soil. It also supports and increases water penetration.
Listed below are some of the essential advantages and importance of soil amendment:
- Soil amendment helps in improving the physical and chemical properties of the soil.
- It also assists in enabling convenient water storage, promoting root development, and strengthening the soil ecosystems.
- Soil amendments are easily produced. Organic soil amendments are cheap and can be locally produced.
- It can be easily applied as well. Soil amendment can be carried out by almost anyone and everyone.
- The primary objective of amending soil is to strengthen the soil’s holding capacity, a sustainable root vegetation environment, and better aeration.
- Biological soil amendments added to the soil support the regrowth and survival of pathogens.
- Using proper means of soil amendment helps withstand pest and insect invasion.
- Each type of soil requires different means of soil amendment.
- Intelligible soil amendment practices help good harvest and moisture conservation.
- Soil amendment is an old and reliable method. It will deliver astonishing results in improving the qualities of the soil.
- Minor improvements in the soil conditions can lead to better soil atmosphere for plants.
Soil amendment is an easy way of maintaining healthy soil conditions. Nonetheless, it has to handled with care, precision, and patience. The soil itself has no capabilities of holding and binding itself back. It always tends to release particles. When the soil is overburdened with organic matters and nutrients, it will result in the outflow of the same. This can cause water pollution. Keeping all the factors in mind, it becomes necessary to choose the appropriate means of soil amendment depending on the initial conditions to derive effective results.